This comforting and hearty bowl of soup made with a mixture of pantry staples and fresh veg comes together fast and is lovely on cool fall nights.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium cannellini beans
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium kidney beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- Chop the zucchini into ½-inch pieces. Drain and rinse the cannellini and kidney beans.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and cook 2 min., until soft, stirring often. Add the zucchini, kale, and garlic. Cook 5 min., until the vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and beans. Heat to a simmer and cook 5 min. Stir in the pasta. Cover pot and cook until pasta is al dente, 7–8 min. Season with salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Sunday prep steps:
- Chop zucchini. Drain beans.
- In large pot, cook onion in olive oil 2 min. Add zucchini, kale, and garlic. Cook 5 min.
- Add broth, crushed tomatoes, and beans. Simmer 5 min. Add pasta and cook 7-8 min., until pasta is al dente. Cool completely and refrigerate.
- 15 min. before ready to serve:
- Reheat soup on medium until hot, stirring occasionally.
Top bowls of minestrone with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
This recipe is
- October 2017