Serve this pie with a drizzle of caramel and pinch of coarse salt for an extra special touch.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups (2 ½ sticks) very cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup cold water
- 3 ½ lbs Golden Delicious apples
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- coarse, flaky salt (optional)
- In food processor, pulse the flour, granulated sugar, and 1 tsp salt to combine. Add half the butter and pulse until pea-size clumps form. Add remaining butter and pulse again until evenly distributed. Drizzle in water in 2 batches, pulsing until dough holds together when squeezed. Transfer to large bowl and knead until dough just comes together. Divide into 4 equal-size mounds and shape into flat rectangles. Wrap each tightly in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and chop the apples. In large bowl, stir the cornstarch, apple pie spice, caramel sauce, and remaining 1 tsp salt. Add apples, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- On floured work surface, place 1 piece dough. Lightly flour on dough and roll into 12x9-inch rectangle. Transfer to 9x13-inch baking sheet, placing 9-inch side of dough along longer side of pan. Repeat rolling with another piece of dough. Transfer to other side of baking sheet, overlapping slightly with first piece of dough. Pinch seam to seal. Spread apple mixture over dough, leaving excess liquid in bowl.
- Repeat rolling process with third piece of dough. Place over half of filling, arranging 9-inch side along longer side of pan. Repeat rolling with remaining piece of dough. Place over other half of filling, overlapping slightly with other piece of dough. Pinch seam to seal. Pinch edges of dough together to enclose filling. Cut slits in top crust. Bake 35 min., until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- November 2017