Pasta and meatballs turn into a hearty soup in this easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- ½ tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups prepared tomato soup
- 2 cups mini pasta shells
- 1 fennel bulb
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Form into ½-inch balls. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil on medium. Add the meatballs and cook 4 min., until golden brown. Transfer meatballs to a plate and set aside.
- To same pot, add the tomato soup and 2 cups water. Heat to a boil on high. Add the pasta shells and simmer on medium 3 min.
- Meanwhile, remove greens from fennel and reserve as garnish, if desired. Halve the fennel bulb, cut out the core, and thinly slice.
- Add the meatballs and fennel to the soup and simmer 3 min., until pasta is al dente. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and garnish with the fennel greens.
Sunday prep steps:
- In medium bowl, combine beef, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Form into ½-inch balls.
- In large pot, cook meatballs in oil on medium 4 min. Transfer to plate.
- To same pot, add tomato soup and water. Heat to a boil. Add pasta and cook 3 min.
- Halve, core, and thinly slice fennel. Add to pot, along with meatballs. Cook 3 min.
10 min. before ready to serve:
- Heat soup on medium until simmering. Simmer 3 min., until meatballs are hot.
- December 2017