Rich chocolate cake is the best way to end a spring celebration. A hint of caramel adds a special touch to homemade chocolate frosting.
- cooking spray
- 1 (15.2 oz) box chocolate cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce
- pinch salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Prepare cake according to package directions, using oil and eggs. Pour into prepared pan and bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter, vanilla, caramel sauce, and salt until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners sugar and cocoa powder. Beat until well combined.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake and cut into 20 (about 2 inch) squares. Arrange squares on serving platter and decorate with sprinkles and nonpareils.
- April 2018