White whole wheat flour bumps up the fiber while sweet berries and bananas help reduce the amount of added sugar needed.
- 9 tbsp melted butter, divided
- 3 overripe medium bananas
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment and brush with 1 tbsp melted butter. Mash the bananas until mostly smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, with hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the remaining butter, sugar, and egg until smooth. Beat in the milk and vanilla. Stir in the bananas.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture, then gently fold in the berries. Transfer batter to lined pan. Bake 50 min., until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 min. before removing from pan using parchment.
For even more texture and flavor, fold in ½ cup chopped pecans.
- September 2018