We’ve taken a dish that traditionally takes hours and sped it up thanks to some quick-cooking boneless chicken thighs and the use of rendered bacon fat to build depth of flavor fast.
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (8 oz) container diced celery and onions
- 4 cups Nature's Response Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk, divided
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- In a large, wide Dutch oven, cook the bacon on medium-high 5–6 min., until fat has rendered, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in ¼ cup flour. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small bowl. In a separate bowl, reserve 2 tbsp rendered bacon fat. Add chicken to pot. Cook 4 min. per side, until browned. Transfer chicken to cutting board.
- To same pot, add the celery and onions. Cook 3 min., stirring. While vegetables cook, thinly slice the chicken. Add the broth, water, peas, chicken, and bacon to pot, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot. Heat to a boil on high. Stir in ½ cup buttermilk. Season with salt. Reduce heat to simmer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the baking powder, remaining 1½ cups flour, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. In another bowl, whisk remaining ¾ cup buttermilk and egg. Add egg mixture to flour, along with reserved bacon fat. Stir until just combined.
- With a tablespoon, drop dough into simmering broth, spacing slightly apart. Cover and cook 7 min., until dumplings are cooked through.
Garnish with chives, if desired.
- guiding star
- S8 2018
- Calories 679kcal 34%
- Fat 28.6g 44%
- Saturated fat 9.1g 46%
- Carbs 55.8g 19%
- Sodium 823mg 34%
- 6.9g sugar
- 3.9g fiber
- 47.9g protein
- 219mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?