No need to drive to the coast to sample authentic, creamy chowdah. This one is chock-full of potatoes and clams, as well as irresistible bacon.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 2 (8 oz) containers diced celery and onions
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 qt low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (8 oz) bottles clam juice
- 1 (16 oz) container chopped fresh sea clams
- 1 cup half & half or cream
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Finely chop the bacon. In a large pot, cook bacon on medium-high 6–8 min., until crisp, stirring often. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small bowl.
- While bacon cooks, chop the potatoes. Add to a medium bowl and cover with cold water.
- To pot, add the celery and onions. Reduce heat to medium. Season with salt. Cook 6 min., stirring and scraping up browned bits. Sprinkle the flour over vegetables and cook 1 min., stirring often.
- Gradually stir in the broth and clam juice, scraping up any flour stuck on bottom of pot. Drain potatoes and add to pot. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- Add the clams and half & half. Cook 1 min. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in bacon and parsley.
- S8 2018
- Calories 232kcal 12%
- Fat 11.5g 18%
- Saturated fat 4.7g 24%
- Carbs 17.0g 6%
- Sodium 839mg 35%
- 1.7g sugar
- 1.7g fiber
- 15.4g protein
- 39mg cholesterol