This perfect-for-fall pie balances tart cranberries with sweet apples. Baking the pie on a preheated pan guarantees a crispy, well-browned bottom crust.
- 2 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crusts
- 2 ½ lbs Golden Delicious apples
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp apple pie spice
- ¾ (12 oz) bag fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp coarse sugar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place in oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Unroll and fit 1 pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Unroll remaining pie crust and cut 6 ventilation holes around center.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. In a deep 12-inch skillet, combine the granulated sugar and apple pie spice. Add apples to skillet, along with the cranberries. Cook 8–10 min. on medium, until half of cranberries burst, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cornstarch. Transfer filling to pie crust.
- Place second pie crust on top of filling. Trim and crimp edges to seal. In a small bowl, beat the cream and yolk. Brush all over the top crust. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Place pie on preheated baking sheet in oven. Bake 50 min.–1 hour, until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- S9 2018
- Calories 373kcal 19%
- Fat 10.9g 17%
- Saturated fat 4.3g 22%
- Carbs 69.5g 23%
- Sodium 164mg 7%
- 40.8g sugar
- 4.2g fiber
- 1.8g protein
- 20mg cholesterol