What dish screams Thanksgiving more than a green bean casserole? Instead of the usual canned or frozen green beans, cook up some fresh ones for a pop of extra flavor.
- 2 lbs trimmed fresh green beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 (8 oz) pkgs sliced baby bellas
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 bunch green onions
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Cut the green beans in half and add to water. Cook 8–10 min., until very tender. Drain.
- While green beans cook, in a medium pot, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add the baby bellas and cook 5 min. Stir in the garlic. Cook another 2–3 min., until mushrooms are tender, stirring often.
- Stir in the mushroom soup and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Add green beans to pot and stir until well coated. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish.
- Thinly slice the green onions and add to medium bowl, along with the Parmesan, bread crumbs, and remaining 3 tbsp oil. Toss until well combined and sprinkle over green beans. Bake 10–12 min., until crumbs are golden brown.
To make this ahead, prepare the recipe through STEP 3. Cover the baking dish and refrigerate up to 1 day. When ready to serve, continue with STEP 4, baking an extra 10 min., until bean mixture is hot.
- November 2018
- guiding star