Caramelized sweet onions plus a low-and-slow braise turn beef brisket into an irresistibly tender and flavorful main dish.
- 3 large Vidalia onions
- 1 (3 lb) flat-cut boneless beef brisket
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Halve each onion and thinly slice. Trim the brisket of excess fat. Season with salt and pepper. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on high. Add brisket and cook 4–5 min. per side, until browned. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Reduce heat under same skillet to medium. Add onions and sugar to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 10 min., until onions are golden, stirring occasionally.
- Into skillet, stir the flour and tomato paste. Cook 30 sec. Add the broth, red wine, and thyme. Heat to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Carefully pour onion mixture over brisket and tightly cover pan with foil. Cook 3–4 hours, until fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 min. Discard thyme sprigs. Slice brisket against the grain and serve with onions and cooking liquid.
Garnish with finely chopped parsley for a pop of freshness.
- S10 2018
- Calories 245kcal 12%
- Fat 6.7g 10%
- Saturated fat 2.0g 10%
- Carbs 9.6g 3%
- Sodium 152mg 6%
- 6.0g sugar
- 1.0g fiber
- 30.6g protein
- 89mg cholesterol