The sweetness of carrots and richness of Cheddar come together in this velvety soup served up in edible bowls.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 (10 oz) pkg matchstick carrots
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 6 oz extra-sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Arrange 1 oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Preheat oven to 325℉.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the onions, carrots, and curry powder. Cook 8 min., until onions are golden, stirring often. Add the vegetable broth. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min., until carrots are very tender.
- Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each roll. Remove insides of each roll, leaving ½-inch shell. Place on a baking sheet and toast in oven 7 min., until edges are crisp. Grate the cheese.
- Remove pot from heat. In a blender or with immersion blender, carefully purée mixture until smooth. Return soup to pot and reheat on medium. Add two-thirds of cheese, stirring until cheese has melted. Stir in cream. Remove from heat. Season with salt to taste.
- Ladle soup into each toasted bread bowl on baking sheet. Garnish with remaining cheese and broil until cheese melts. Season with pepper to taste.
- S10 2018
- Calories 482kcal 24%
- Fat 27.3g 42%
- Saturated fat 11.9g 59%
- Carbs 42.3g 14%
- Sodium 708mg 29%
- 7.0g sugar
- 4.5g fiber
- 17.0g protein
- 55mg cholesterol