Make a big batch of this satisfying soup in your slow cooker over the weekend and enjoy comforting, easy-to-reheat lunches all week long.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg dried green split peas
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cups diced ham
- ½ cup diced onions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse the split peas. Peel and slice the carrots. Chop the celery. In a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker, combine split peas, carrots, celery, ham, onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and hot water.
- Cover and cook on low 8–10 hours, until peas are very soft.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Use a potato masher or fork to mash some of the peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, garnish with the parsley.
- Guiding Stars
- January 2019