This lightened-up version of your comfort food favorite replaces a traditional flour and butter roux with cornstarch and heavy cream, plus a touch of reduced-fat cream cheese.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) container diced celery and onions
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Dice the chicken into ½-inch chunks. In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook 6 min., until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl.
- To same skillet, add the celery and onions. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 6 min., until vegetables are translucent, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and ½ cup of broth until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and 1 tbsp water. Unroll the pie crust and brush all over with egg wash. With a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a heart from center of crust. Arrange cutout next to heart-shaped hole.
- To skillet, add the cream cheese and remaining 2 cups broth. Whisk until cream cheese melts. Stir in the frozen vegetables, chicken, parsley, and cornstarch mixture, scraping up any browned bits on bottom. Heat to a simmer on high. Simmer 1 min., until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange pie crust over filling, tucking in edges. Place entire skillet in oven. Bake 15 min., until mixture is bubbling and pastry is golden brown.
- S2 2019
- Calories 378kcal 19%
- Fat 17.7g 27%
- Saturated fat 6.0g 30%
- Carbs 36.9g 12%
- Sodium 361mg 15%
- 1.4g sugar
- 4.1g fiber
- 19.0g protein
- 101mg cholesterol