This classic chili recipe is thick enough to ladle over chips, but also thin enough for just enjoying straight up in a big bowl.
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 qt Nature's Promise Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth, divided
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans small red beans, rinsed and drained
- Finely chop the onions and garlic. In a large, heavy-bottom saucepot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook 5–7 min., until onions are golden, stirring often.
- Add the beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 min., until mostly browned, breaking up with back of wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 3 tbsp broth until smooth. Add the crushed tomatoes, beans, and remaining broth to pot. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min., until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and continue simmering 5 min., until thickened. Season with salt to taste.
Let guests help themselves to build their own customized bowl of chili, plate of nachos, or walking taco with this DIY chili/nacho bar:
-Keep chili warm on buffet table in a large slow cooker on “keep warm” function.
-Set out bowls of garnishes and toppings, such as fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, lime wedges, light sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, jarred queso, chopped pickled jalapeños, prepared guacamole, and hot sauces.
-Set out “bases” like corn chips, tortilla chips, and Doritos.
- S2 2019
- Calories 220kcal 11%
- Fat 8.0g 12%
- Saturated fat 3.0g 15%
- Carbs 24.0g 8%
- Sodium 620mg 26%
- 8.0g sugar
- 6.0g fiber
- 15.0g protein
- 30mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?