The secret to this sauce isn’t just the veggies that bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes but also the small pat of butter which tames their acidity.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 (28 oz) can Nature's Promise Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, and garlic. Thinly slice the celery.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Season with salt. Cook 6–7 min., until golden, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into ½-inch chunks. Then use your hands to squeeze the tomatoes into pieces. Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high.
- Stir garlic and zucchini into onion mixture in pot. Cook 2 min. Add tomatoes. Cover partially and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 min., stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Stir the butter into sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss spaghetti with sauce. Garnish with the basil.
Serve with Parmesan or Pecorino, if desired.
- April 2019
- Guiding Stars