A touch of smoke from the grill lends depth of flavor to the veggies in this hearty-but-not-heavy sandwich.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium zucchinis
- ½ cup Italian dressing, divided
- 1 large round loaf sourdough bread
- 1 large tomato
- ¼ lb thinly sliced Muenster cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed arugula
- Set grill to medium. Thinly slice the eggplant and zucchini. In a large bowl, toss both with ¼ cup Italian dressing. Place on grill, letting excess dressing drip back into bowl. Grill 5–6 min. per side, until tender.
- Meanwhile, trim top third off of bread loaf. Remove inside of bread, leaving ½-inch wall. Brush inside with remaining ¼ cup dressing. Thinly slice the tomato.
- Layer the grilled vegetables and cheese inside bread, then add the tomato slices. Season tomato with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the arugula. Replace top of bread. Wrap very tightly in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight with small cast iron skillet or baking sheet on top weighted down with a large can.
- When ready to serve, unwrap and cut into 6 wedges.
Freeze the removed bread insides for use later to thicken soups or toast up for bread crumbs to top pasta.
- S4 2019
- Calories 639kcal 32%
- Fat 13.6g 21%
- Saturated fat 5.0g 25%
- Carbs 104.5g 35%
- Sodium 1416mg 59%
- 13.1g sugar
- 8.2g fiber
- 26.5g protein
- 18mg cholesterol