Chipotle packs a fiery punch while savory Worcestershire sauce balances the sweetness of brown sugar in this versatile barbecue sauce.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 small canned chipotle chilies in adobo
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium. Add the onions and salt. Cook 5 min., stirring often. Add the garlic and cook 1 min., stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chilies, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Heat to a boil on high, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 min., until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Let mixture cool, then purée in blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- June 2019