Mild-mannered mushrooms and chicken are the perfect canvas for flavor boosters like oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 (3.5 oz) pkg shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 (6 oz) pkgs mushroom blend
- 2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- In a slow cooker bowl, stir together the garlic, onion, brown sugar, mirin, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and ½ cup water.
- Quarter the shiitakes and add to slow cooker, along with the mushroom blend.
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken. Remove and discard skin. Rub chicken with the five-spice powder. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken into slow cooker bowl, pushing down to partially submerge.
- Cover and cook on low 4–5 hours, until chicken is tender.
Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions for an extra-special touch.
- In Season
- Guiding Stars
- September 2019