Browning the butter for the filling of this pie is a simple but cheffy technique that adds nuttiness and depth of flavor.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 ½ lbs Golden Delicious apples
- 1 ½ lbs Bartlett pears
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (14.1 oz) box 9-inch refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp coarse or sanding sugar
- Place a rimmed baking sheet in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a small heavy-duty saucepot, heat the butter on medium 4–6 min., until golden brown flecks appear and butter is fragrant, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples and pears. In a large bowl, toss together apples, pears, brown butter, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.
- Arrange 1 pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Add apple and pear filling to pie shell, along with any residual syrup in bowl. Place top crust over fruit and cut off any excess pie crust as needed. Fold the edges of the top crust over the bottom crust, pinching to seal. Pinch the edges using thumb and forefinger to form a crimped edge, if desired.
- Brush top crust with the heavy cream, then sprinkle evenly with the coarse sugar. Cut 6 slits in top crust. Place pie on heated baking sheet in oven. Bake 15 min. Reduce heat to 375°F. Bake another 35–40 min., until top is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.
- November 2019
- Calories 396kcal 20%
- Fat 21.4g 33%
- Saturated fat 10.6g 53%
- Carbs 51.8g 17%
- Sodium 252mg 11%
- 20.9g sugar
- 4.1g fiber
- 1.9g protein
- 26mg cholesterol