A great way to update stuffing is to experiment with different bases. This recipe replaces typical bread cubes with buttery, flaky store-bought croissants.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 (8 oz) pkgs diced celery and onions
- 2 (3.5 oz) pkgs sliced shitake mushrooms
- 2 (8 oz) pkgs sliced baby bellas
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 croissants, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil on medium, until butter melts. Add the diced celery and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 8–10 min., until vegetables are almost tender, stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme. Cook 10–12 min., until mushrooms are tender, stirring often. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Into pot, stir in the eggs and broth. Add the croissants and toss until well combined. Transfer mixture to baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 min. Remove foil and continue baking 10–15 min., until top is golden brown.
- Savory November 2019
- Calories 488kcal 24%
- Fat 31.7g 49%
- Saturated fat 16.2g 81%
- Carbs 41.2g 14%
- Sodium 442mg 18%
- 11.0g sugar
- 3.3g fiber
- 11.1g protein
- 121mg cholesterol