A little bit of beef goes a long way in this satisfying supper that puts fiber-filled sweet potatoes at the center of the plate.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz 90% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and place in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with vented plastic. Microwave on high 12 min., until very tender, turning over once halfway through. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the bell pepper and onion. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook 3 min., until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4–5 min., until browned, stirring and breaking up meat with back of wooden spoon.
- Stir in the flour, chili powder, and cumin. Add ⅔ cup water, scraping up any browned bits. Cook 1–2 min., stirring until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Cut open each sweet potato lengthwise. Squeeze to open wider. With fork, scrape flesh inside. Season inside with salt. Spoon beef mixture into each potato. Top with the cilantro.
- December 2019
- Budget Friendly
- Guiding Stars
- $10 Meals