Cake mix is the key to pulling off a homemade version of an Italian bakery staple that features a hint of almond and raspberry, all wrapped in a cloak of melted chocolate.
- 1 (15.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Red and green food coloring
- 4 tbsp seedless raspberry preserves, divided
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 11x15-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer on low speed, combine the cake mix with the egg, oil, butter, and almond extract for 2 min. With clean hands, divide dough into 3 equally sized balls and place in 3 separate bowls. With a spatula, work a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl and green food coloring into another until combined. Leave the third bowl untinted.
- With a spatula, spread each color of batter side by side in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake 10 min., until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 min. Gently lift cake off the baking sheet using parchment and cool completely. Cut 3 different colors apart from each other to form 3 separate rectangles of color.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and top with green cake layer. Spread 2 tbsp raspberry preserves over green cake layer, then top with yellow cake layer. Repeat layering with remaining 2 tbsp preserves and red cake layer. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Place baking sheet on top and weigh down with weights or cans for 1 hour to press layers together.
- Remove top baking sheet and weights. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in microwave, stirring every 30 sec. until melted. Spread the chocolate over the red cake layer. Refrigerate 1 hour until chocolate is set. With a serrated knife, cut into 4 (1-inch-wide) strips, then cut each strip into 5 (2-inch) bars.
Rainbow cookies keep well in the fridge; store them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- almond extract
- Savory December 2019
- food coloring
- Cookie Swap
- cake mix
- Calories 198kcal 10%
- Fat 11.5g 18%
- Saturated fat 4.8g 24%
- Carbs 23.1g 8%
- Sodium 151mg 6%
- 13.8g sugar
- 0.3g fiber
- 1.3g protein
- 20mg cholesterol