This updated take on a classic adds smokiness from chipotles and cumin to the sauce while keeping the familiar flavors of ketchup and horseradish.
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 lbs raw peeled, deveined extra-large shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp finely chopped canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 tsp adobo sauce from chipotles
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- From the lemon, squeeze 1 tbsp juice and reserve. Squeeze any remaining juice into a large pot of water and add squeezed lemon halves. Stir in the salt. Cover and heat to a boil on high.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Add the shrimp and cook 3–5 min., until cooked through. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool. Pat dry and refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together reserved lemon juice, ketchup, horseradish, cilantro, chipotles, adobo sauce, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate up to 2 days.
- To serve, arrange shrimp on a large platter and transfer sauce to a serving bowl.
- Savory December 2019
- shrimp cocktail
- Calories 128kcal 6%
- Fat 1.6g 2%
- Saturated fat 0.2g <1%
- Carbs 11.4g 4%
- Sodium 1281mg 53%
- 8.1g sugar
- 0.5g fiber
- 16.1g protein
- 143mg cholesterol