It doesn’t get more comforting than migas con salsa, a classic breakfast dish featuring scrambled eggs, crisp tortilla pieces, and a homemade salsa. Avocado and fresh cilantro round out the meal.
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and halved
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, stem removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 7 tbsp corn oil, divided
- 4 corn tortillas, cut or torn into ½-inch pieces
- ½ medium white onion, finely chopped
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- In a blender, purée the tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, and ¼ cup water until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium. Carefully add purée (it may spatter). Heat to a boil on high, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 min., until salsa thickens and turns dark red, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm on low.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 3 tbsp oil on medium. Add the tortillas. Cook 5–7 min., until tortillas are golden brown and crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer tortillas to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- To same skillet on medium, add remaining 2 tbsp oil and the onion. Cook 7–9 min., until onion is soft, stirring often. Stir in crisped tortillas, then the eggs. Reduce heat to low. Cook 2–3 min., until eggs are just set, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve eggs with the avocado and salsa. Garnish with the cilantro.
- migas con salsa