Canned chickpeas are transformed into oven-baked falafel and paired with garlicky tzatziki.
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 4 plum tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup tzatziki
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- To a food processor, add the chickpeas, cumin, garlic powder, and parsley. Sprinkle the flour on top. Season with salt. Pulse until mixture is well combined and chickpeas are very finely chopped but not puréed, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Scoop mixture into 1½-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray and bake 25–30 min., until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand 5 min.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes and olives. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the tzatziki and 2 tbsp water. Serve falafel wtih tomato-olive salad. Drizzle with tzatziki mixture.
Serve over salad greens for extra fiber and fresh crunch.
This recipe is
- Guiding Stars
- January 2020
- Egg Free