The bubbles in the beer help create the light texture of this buttery bread that’s perfect for snacking or serving alongside a beef stew.
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (12 oz) bottle lager
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar, divided
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, onion powder, and salt. Stir in the beer until dough comes together and is well mixed. Fold in ¾ cup Cheddar and the chives. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 30 min.
- Brush top of loaf with the butter and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Cheddar. Bake another 20–25 min., until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 min. Remove bread from pan and serve warm.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- February March 2020
- Egg Free