Caramelized onions and American cheese are the key ingredients in this riff on a diner classic.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 (4- 5 oz each) hamburger patties
- 8 slices white bread
- 8 slices white American cheese
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook 20–30 min., stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set grill or grill pan to medium. Season the hamburger patties on both sides with salt and pepper. Place burgers on grill and cook 4–5 min. per side, or until desired doneness. Transfer to a platter.
- Place the bread slices on the grill. Cook 2 min. Turn bread over and top each with a cheese slice. Cover and cook 1 min., until cheese melts. Transfer bread, cheese-sides up, to a rimmed baking sheet or platter.
- Place each burger patty onto a slice of bread. Top with some caramelized onions, then top with another slice of bread, pressing down.
Don’t feel like heating up the kitchen? Cook the onions in a cast-iron skillet directly on your grill.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Five Ingredients
- Savory June 2020
- 5 ingredients
- Egg Free
- Calories 789kcal 39%
- Fat 35.4g 55%
- Saturated fat 12.7g 64%
- Carbs 84.0g 28%
- Sodium 1459mg 61%
- 15.0g sugar
- 3.9g fiber
- 33.8g protein
- 88mg cholesterol