Buttery crackers get the mummy treatment with the help of bacon strips. Cooking them low and slow in the oven transforms them into an irresistible bacon-infused snack or appetizer.
- 8 slices bacon
- 32 rectangle butter crackers, such as Club
- 2 tbsp ketchup and/or mustard, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 250ºF. Arrange a wire rack in a large rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment.
- Cut the bacon slices crosswise into halves. Then cut halves in half lengthwise to form long, narrow strips.
- Wrap each cracker with a strip of bacon, going around twice. Arrange on rack, seam-sides down.
- Bake 1½ hours, until bacon is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. With sandwich-size resealable plastic bag with corner snipped off or tip of bottle, pipe either ketchup or mustard onto each cracker to form 2 eyes and a mouth. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make these up to 2 days ahead. After removing from oven (but before adding eyes and mouth), cool completely. Place in airtight container or bag and refrigerate. Reheat in a 325ºF oven until warm, then pipe on the mouth and eyes.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Oct/Nov 2020
- Egg Free
- Calories 58kcal 3%
- Fat 4.7g 7%
- Saturated fat 1.4g 7%
- Carbs 2.2g <1%
- Sodium 100mg 4%
- 0.5g sugar
- 0.1g fiber
- 1.4g protein
- 6mg cholesterol