Matzo sheets sub for noodles in this vegetarian Passover lasagna recipe brimming with spinach, bell peppers, and three kinds of cheese.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- ½ (32 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with press
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 - 3 sheets kosher for Passover matzo
- 4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add the onion and peppers. Season with salt. Cook 6–7 min., until peppers are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, squeeze spinach until very dry and place in a large bowl. Add the ricotta cheese, Parmesan, eggs, oregano, garlic, and ½ cup mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Brush inside of an 8x8-inch (or 2-qt) baking dish with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Line bottom of pan with single layer of matzo, breaking as needed to fit. Top with half of the tomato slices and spread with half of ricotta mixture. Top with half of onions and peppers. Repeat layering of matzo, tomatoes, ricotta, and peppers for 1 more layer. Top with remaining ½ cup mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 min. Remove foil and continue baking 20–25 min., until cheese is golden. Allow lasagna to stand 10 min. before slicing to serve.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- April 2021
- Calories 434kcal 22%
- Fat 27.7g 43%
- Saturated fat 13.1g 65%
- Carbs 22.9g 8%
- Sodium 499mg 21%
- 4.8g sugar
- 4.0g fiber
- 25.3g protein
- 123mg cholesterol