Avoid throwing out old fruit—particularly apples and berries—by keeping this oat topping in your freezer to whip up an affordable dessert anytime.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped like walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter, cut up and softened
- Baking spray
- 3 cups mixed berries, like diced strawberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries
- 2 cups peeled diced apples and/or pears
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, nuts (if using), ½ tsp cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and, with clean hands, work butter thoroughly into oat mixture, until pea-size crumbs form. Transfer to a sealed container and freeze a minimum of 20 min. or up to 2 months.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-qt baking dish with the baking spray. Add fruit to a large bowl and toss with the granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Transfer fruit to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle crumble over fruit. Bake 35–45 min., until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling. Let stand 15 min. before serving.
Try serving this warm with a scoop of vanilla or butter pecan ice cream.
This recipe is
- April 2021
- Egg Free
- Calories 444kcal 22%
- Fat 14.3g 22%
- Saturated fat 6.7g 34%
- Carbs 74.1g 25%
- Sodium 61mg 3%
- 32.9g sugar
- 6.0g fiber
- 7.6g protein
- 25mg cholesterol