Use up fresh herbs and veggies before they go bad in these Vietnamese-inspired summer rolls that are great as an appetizer, snack, lunch, or light dinner. Lay out ingredients beforehand for fast assembly.
- 6 oz thin rice vermicelli noodles
- 4 green onions
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 tsp cider or rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp finely chopped roasted, unsalted peanuts (optional)
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves, torn into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, mint leaves, and/or basil leaves
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. Drain well and rinse until cold. Trim the green onions and cut into 2-inch lengths. Stack green onions and slice lengthwise to create very thin strips.
- While noodles cook, in a medium bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, and vinegar. Whisk in 2 tbsp warm water until smooth. Add the peanuts, if using. Set aside.
- Fill a wide shallow dish or pie plate with very warm water. Working with 1 rice paper wrapper at a time, place in water and soak for 15 sec., until soft. Transfer to cutting board and spread out flat.
- In center of 1 wrapper, arrange 2 lettuce pieces. Top with about ¼ cup noodles. Arrange some bell pepper, green onions, and herbs on top of noodles. Fold sides of wrapper over filling. Fold bottom of wrapper up over filling, tucking under to create tight roll. Roll up to seal. Place on plate under damp paper towels. Continue filling and rolling with remaining ingredients. Serve with dipping sauce.
Add cooked shrimp, chicken, or pork to rolls or swap out bell pepper for carrots in these versatile rolls. Replace romaine with baby spinach or other greens.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- April 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free
- Calories 193kcal 10%
- Fat 6.4g 10%
- Saturated fat 1.0g 5%
- Carbs 30.5g 10%
- Sodium 238mg 10%
- 8.1g sugar
- 8.1g fiber
- 7.3g protein
- 0mg cholesterol