This 5-ingredient recipe amps up the nutrition in a childhood favorite by loading it with veggies, while pepper Jack cheese means it’s anything but boring. Serve it as a comforting lunch or light dinner.
- ½ cup frozen chopped kale, thawed
- ¼ cup frozen mixed pepper strips, thawed and patted dry
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz pepper Jack cheese, grated
- To a small microwave-safe container, add the kale, mixed pepper strips, and 2 tbsp water. Cover with vented plastic and microwave 1–2 min., until wilted. Drain liquid from kale mixture and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Spread the mayonnaise on 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange bread mayonnaise-sides down. Divide half of cheese between 2 slices of bread. Divide kale mixture between piles of cheese. Top with remaining cheese and 2 slices of bread, mayonnaise-sides up.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet on medium and add sandwiches to it. Cook 2–4 min. per side, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
This recipe is
- Fifteen Minutes
- Nut Free
- Five Ingredient
- 5 ingredient
- take 5
- May 2021
- 15 Minutes