This bean-based Southern classic can be served with tortilla chips as an appetizer or as the perfect summer side dish for anything from hot dogs and burgers to grilled chicken and steak.
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black-eye beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen (thawed) or fresh corn kernels
- 2 small green and/or red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded and very thinly chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (9 oz) pkg Nature's Promise® Organic Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips (optional)
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, bell peppers, red onion, and jalapeño. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, and garlic. Heat on medium, until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Pour warm dressing over bean mixture. Stir to combine, then stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 day. Serve as a side dish or with the tortilla chips for scooping.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- June 2021
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- Guiding Stars
- Lactose Free
- Slam Dunk Bites Cookbook
- Egg Free