Pasta cooks right in the cheese sauce, saving an extra pot and making the finished mac and cheese even creamier. Six ingredients, one pot, and ready in 20 minutes? That’s some math we love.
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ (16 oz) bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 8 oz sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated
- In a heavy bottomed medium pot, combine the evaporated milk, water, and ¾ tsp salt. Heat on medium-high until warm.
- Add the macaroni to milk mixture. Heat to a boil on high, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 7–8 min., stirring often until pasta is cooked to al dente and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas and carrots and garlic powder. Remove from heat. Stir in the Cheddar until melted and smooth. Season with pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
This recipe is
- one pot
- Nut Free
- $10 Meals
- September 2021