Instead of sauerkraut, sweet-and-tangy apples and cabbage top these smoky grilled brats. This family-friendly recipe is ready in 30.
- 5 bratwursts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil, divided
- 2 tsp vegetable oil or canola oil
- 5 hot dog buns
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed shredded red or green cabbage
- 1 small Pink Lady apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Spicy brown mustard, for serving (optional)
- Set grill or grill pan to medium. Brush the bratwursts with 2 tsp oil. Grill 15–20 min., covered, until cooked through, turning occasionally. Lightly grill the buns.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add the shallot and cook 2 min., stirring often. Add the cabbage, apple, and ¼ cup water. Season with salt. Cover and cook until tender, 10 min., stirring occasionally. Uncover, stir in the vinegar, and cook 1 min. Remove from heat.
- Serve brats on buns topped with cabbage and apple mixture. Top with mustard, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- In Season
- September 2021
- Lactose Free