This rib roast or strip roast studded with thyme, rosemary, and garlic is both easy and impressive for a holiday centerpiece.
- 1 (7- 8 lb) 3-rib bone-in standing rib roast or 1 (4-5 lb) boneless beef loin New York strip roast, fat trimmed to ¼ inch
- 1 (½ oz) pkg organic thyme, divided
- 1 (½ oz) pkg organic rosemary, divided
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- Let the roast sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Set oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- To a food processor, add 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves and 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves. Pulse until very finely chopped. Add to small bowl with salt and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add remaining thyme and rosemary to the roasting pan, along with the beef broth and onion. Place roasting rack over the liquid mixture. If using a rib roast, add roast, bone-rib side down. If using a strip roast, add roast, fat side up. Coat roast on all sides with herbed salt mixture. Roast 15–20 min.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Continue to cook 1½–2 hours for rib roast, or 45–50 min. for strip roast, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast reaches 120°F for medium-rare or 130°F for medium, rotating roasting pan 2–3 times.
- Transfer roast to a carving board. Let rest 20 min., tenting loosely with foil. From roasting pan, remove and discard herb sprigs and onion. Let cool slightly and then carefully pour pan juices into a fat separator. Discard fat and pour jus into a small serving bowl. Thinly slice roast and arrange on a large serving platter with jus.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- December 2021
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free