This flavorful and hearty sausage and grits casserole is made ahead of time to just pop in the oven when guests arrive for any entertaining breakfast or brunch needs.
- 1 (16 oz) tube breakfast sausage, thawed if frozen
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups quick grits
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped green onions (optional)
- Add the sausage to a 10-inch skillet and cook on medium-high 6–8 min., until fully cooked, breaking apart with a wooden spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl and reserve
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, bring the water and milk to a boil on high. Season well with salt and pepper. When boiling, whisk in the grits, stirring 3 to 5 min., until thickened. Reduce heat to low. To grits, add 1 cup Cheddar cheese, butter, cream cheese, and Worcestershire sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. When cheeses and butter have melted, remove from heat and stir in sausage.
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with the cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Slowly stir in about ¼ cup grits to temper eggs. Continue slowly adding remaining grits until fully incorporated with eggs. Add mixture to prepared baking dish and top with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Let casserole cool. Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray, cover casserole with it, and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove foil and bake 30–35 min., until golden on top and hot. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving. Garnish with the green onions, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- December 2021