Crispy sheet pan chicken delivers sweetness from dates, brininess from olives, and an anise-like touch from the fennel for a spectacular holiday dinner to feed a crowd.
- 2 medium cara cara or blood oranges, divided
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (4 ¼ lb) pkg chicken leg quarters
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and sliced, fronds reserved to garnish if desired
- 15 dates, quartered
- 1 cup pitted green olives (like Castelvetrano), roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Using a blender or an immersion blender, purée the juice of 1 orange, 2 tbsp oil, rosemary from 2 sprigs, and garlic until smooth. Add the chicken to a resealable bag and pour marinade over chicken. Marinate 12–24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Halve and thinly slice remaining 1 orange. Add orange to large rimmed parchment-lined sheet pan along with remaining 2 rosemary sprigs, fennel, and dates. Drizzle with 3 tbsp oil, tossing to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to sheet pan on top of other ingredients. Roast 50–60 min., until chicken reaches an internal temp of 165°F.
- Meanwhile, if desired, chop 1 cup reserved fennel fronds. Add fronds to a medium bowl with remaining 1 tbsp oil, olives, green onions, and parsley. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When chicken is done, garnish with olive and parsley mixture to serve.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Wheat Free
- gluten free
- December 2021
- Guiding Stars
- Meal Prep
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free