These cupcakes will be your go-to for every New Year's Eve Party. You can enjoy them with your glass of mimosa for brunch and when popping champagne for dessert.
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature and divided
- 1 (16.2 oz) box white cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¾ cup champagne, sparkling wine, or sparkling apple juice, divided
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gold sprinkles and/or gold edible glitter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Add ½ cup butter (1 stick) to microwave-safe small bowl and microwave until melted.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer on low speed, combine the melted butter, cake mix, eggs, orange juice, and orange zest. Divide batter among cupcake liners. Bake 18–20 min., until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to a small heavy-duty pot, add the champagne. Heat to a boil on medium-high. Reduce heat slightly and let cook down 8–10 min., until champagne has reduced to about ¼ cup. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the remaining 1 cup (2 sticks) butter on high 2–3 min., until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and carefully add confectioners’ sugar in 1-cup increments. Add in vanilla and a pinch of salt. Mix on high 3–4 min., until a frosting consistency. Slowly mix in reduced champagne. Using a piping bag or a spatula, frost cupcakes. Garnish with the sprinkles or edible glitter, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- December 2021