These rich, savory meatballs are full of flavor with allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Serve over a bed of egg noodles with plenty of this delicious, creamy gravy.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Cooked wide egg noodles, to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Using a box grater, grate the onion into a large bowl. To bowl, add the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Roll meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Arrange meatballs on a large parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake 15–20 min., until golden brown and fully cooked.
- When meatballs are almost done, in a Dutch oven, melt the butter on medium-high. Add flour and cook 1 min., stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the beef broth and milk, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, 4–5 min. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs or a spatula, transfer cooked meatballs into gravy. Let simmer 5 min. Remove from heat. Serve over cooked egg noodles and garnish with the chives, if desired.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- February March 2022
- Guiding Stars
- Comfort Food