This trendy chicken technique will transport you to the Caribbean. Serve with a side of steamed veggies like broccoli or green beans.
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks (about 8 drumsticks)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- ½ (5 oz) pkg long hot green peppers, chopped
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tbsp allspice
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 lime
- Take each drumstick by the bone end and, using a very sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut around the bone about 1 inch up. Trim and scrape off the meat, revealing bone. Push the chicken meat up so it looks like a lollipop. Place lollipops in a large bowl.
- To a blender, add the green onions, green peppers, oil, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, allspice, soy sauce, ketchup, and cinnamon. Squeeze the juice of the lime into blender. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until combined and smooth. Pour jerk sauce into bowl with chicken. Toss to coat the chicken and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to 400°F. Place marinated chicken on a greased grill rack. Brush chicken with remaining marinade. Close lid and cook 30 min., turning halfway, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
For an easy shortcut, use 1 cup Taste of Inspirations® Caribbean-Inspired Jerk Sauce in place of a homemade sauce.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Guiding Stars
- June 2022
- Wheat Free
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free