Dessert for your next cookout or gathering is easy with this Southern-inspired red velvet Bundt cake. Serve it with your favorite fresh fruit for an extra-special treat.
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 (0.25 oz) pkg red food coloring
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-cup Bundt pan with the cooking spray. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, and vanilla extract on high speed until creamy and smooth, about 4–5 min.
- Add the sugar and continue beating on high for 1 min. more, scraping sides of bowl with rubber spatula as needed.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. Slowly add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and beat until mixture is thick and creamy, but without overmixing.
- Turn off mixer and stir in the vinegar. Add the red food coloring, starting with 1–2 tsp, and continue stirring until batter reaches the desired color.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake 80–90 min., until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 min. Invert pan onto a serving dish and continue to cool 2–3 hours before serving. If desired, dust cake with confectioners' sugar to serve.
Halfway through cooking, if pound cake starts to brown too quickly on top, loosely tent with foil.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- Red Velvet
- June 2022