Though they're easily found, few home cooks ever think to prepare Cornish hens for a special occasion or any other time. Yet not only are they tender and delicious, they can be ready to serve in just an hour. Carrots and onions will be the perfect companions for this pleasant treat.
- 2 whole Cornish game hens (about 1 ¼ lb each)
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 whole carrot, sliced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly oil or spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse Cornish game hens with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Split hens in half by cutting down backbone and then through breastbone.
- Carefully lift skin and season meat with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Place birds in prepared baking dish, cut side down, placing a section of onion, some celery and carrots under each half.
- Bake for 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with pan juices until juices run clear and internal temp in thickest part of the thigh reaches 165F.
- Skim fat off juices in baking dish and thicken pan juices with a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of cold water.
- Calories 193kcal 10%
- Fat 12.3g 19%
- Saturated fat 3.4g 17%
- Carbs 4.4g 1%
- Sodium 217mg 9%
- 1.6g sugar
- 1.1g fiber
- 15.3g protein
- 87mg cholesterol