Watching grandma make holiday stuffing may have looked mysterious, but in truth there's no magic to a great stuffing. Here we add cranberries straight in for extra tang and color. Whole-wheat bread adds texture and nutty flavors. Pass the gravy.
- 1 lb firm whole-grain white bread, crusts cut off & cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 cups reduced sodium fat free chicken broth ( 14.5 oz can)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F. On 2 large baking sheets, toast bread cubes until dry and golden, about 15-17 minutes. Remove sheets from oven and increase oven temperature to 350F. (Bread cubes may be prepared a day ahead.)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery to skillet and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- Toss chopped cranberries with sugar. Add bread cubes, cranberries, egg, herbs and pepper to bowl. Mix well.
- Blend in 1-1/2 cups broth and mix well until dressing is moist.
- Coat bottom and sides of an 11x7-inch or 2 qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon dressing into dish. Pour remaining 1/2 cup broth over dressing.
- Cover tightly with foil, bake in 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 8-10 minutes.
This recipe is
- Calories 147kcal 7%
- Fat 3.1g 5%
- Saturated fat 0.7g 4%
- Carbs 26.7g 9%
- Sodium 269mg 11%
- 6.7g sugar
- 4.1g fiber
- 5.7g protein
- 16mg cholesterol