This hearty turkey sausages stuffing gets its earthy flavors from shiitake mushrooms, parsnips, kale and leeks, along with fresh sage and thyme. Serve it as part of a holiday spread—or as a meal in itself any time you are craving a taste of the holidays.
- Cooking spray
- 16 oz multigrain bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch (approx. 1 lb ) kale, cut into 2-3 inch pieces, stems removed
- 1 lb uncooked turkey sausages, casings removed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek stalk (white part only), cleaned and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 3 cups Nature's Promise low-sodium chicken stock, heated
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Toast in oven for 8–10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Place kale in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then remove to an ice bath. Drain cooled kale.
- Heat large sauté pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Break sausage apart and add to pan, crumbling more as it cooks. Cook for 8–10 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Add butter to pan. Once melted, add onion, leek, garlic and parsnips. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add kale, mushrooms and herbs; sauté and stir for an additional minute. Add sausage and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat. Combine bread cubes, mushroom mixture, chicken stock and pepper; mix thoroughly. Coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour stuffing into pan cover and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Calories 202kcal 10%
- Fat 6.4g 10%
- Saturated fat 2.1g 10%
- Carbs 24.1g 8%
- Sodium 345mg 14%
- 4.2g sugar
- 4.3g fiber
- 13.3g protein
- 29mg cholesterol