Fried pastries are a traditional part of many Chanukah celebrations around the world. These scrumptious bites are similar to treats served in Italy and Israel.
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 envelope rapid-rising dried yeast
- 3 ⅔ cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, to serve
- Soak dried cranberries in 1 ½ cups boiling water for 15 min. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the buttermilk and sugar gently in a saucepan or microwave until just warm. Sprinkle over the yeast and let sit for 10 min.
- Whisk together flour and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add buttermilk mixture and egg and mix at low speed until you have a smooth batter.
- Chop the dried cranberries and pistachios coarsely and mix into batter. Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Heat oil in a large pan to 350°F, or use a deep fryer. Using a spoon, scoop out balls of dough the size of large walnuts and drop them carefully in the oil. Fry no more than 6 at a time for 3 min., or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sift confectioners sugar over.
- Savory Happy Holidays 2015
- Calories 220kcal 11%
- Fat 18.5g 29%
- Saturated fat 2.9g 15%
- Carbs 12.6g 4%
- Sodium 59mg 2%
- 5.0g sugar
- 0.5g fiber
- 1.6g protein
- 5mg cholesterol