Sweet, crunchy and spicy, this makes a fantastic snack with drinks.
- 1 small red jalapeño pepper
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 large lime
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut flour, such as Bob's Red Mill
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lb large frozen tail-on shrimp, thawed
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Stem and halve the pepper lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice thinly. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Juice half the lime and cut the other half into wedges.
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, half the jalapeno, the lime juice, fish sauce and coconut palm sugar. Add more jalapeño, if desired. Set dipping sauce aside.
- Spread the coconut flour on a large plate. Crack eggs into a pie dish and beat lightly. Combine the shredded coconut and panko and place in a third large plate.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Dredge each shrimp in coconut flour, then dip in the egg mixture and finally coat with the coconut-panko mixture.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the shrimp in batches if necessary 3 min., or until golden and crisp. Turn halfway. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place the shrimp on a platter and serve with lime wedges and dipping sauce.
- S2 videos
- savory 2 2016
- Calories 319kcal 16%
- Fat 23.3g 36%
- Saturated fat 18.8g 94%
- Carbs 17.4g 6%
- Sodium 731mg 30%
- 3.8g sugar
- 3.0g fiber
- 12.4g protein
- 125mg cholesterol