Explore new ways to use pumpkin this season, starting with this perfectly-spiced cake.
- 2 sticks + 2 tbsp (10 oz) total room temperature butter
- 1 ¼ cups raw cane sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray and line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar for about 5 min., or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice and mix on low speed. Add the cream and pumpkin purée and mix until just combined. Be careful not to overbeat, which will result in a tough cake. Spoon the batter into the cake pans and bake for about 30 min., or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the top of one of the cake layers. Place the other layer on top.
- Beat together the cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, and cinnamon until light and fluffy, then use a spatula to gently spread along the top of the cake.
- Bring 1 inch of water in a saucepan to a simmer. Place a heatproof bowl over the simmering water and add the chocolate chips. Stir for 3 min. or until melted. Place the melted chocolate in a small, resealable plastic bag. Snip off a tiny piece from one corner, and pipe thin lines over the frosting to create a crosshatch or cobweb effect.
- October November 2016